Thursday, March 12, 2015

Chinese Dumplings

Several days ago, I made 200 Chinese dumplings to be used at a Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go" Celebration at our elementary school.  I went the easy route and used wonton wrappers.

I accidentally deleted the recipe I used, but I used these ingredients:

Ground pork (I used mild sausage)
Cabbage (cut into thin strips)
Ginger root (freshly grated)
Onion (chopped finely)
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce

After I cooked the sausage, I added the other ingredients, sautéing it until the cabbage was soft.  It may have been too much, but I wasn't sure the elementary kids would like it not soft!  

Using only a few at a time, I filled the wonton wrappers with a small amount of filling, sealing the wrapper with brushed egg whites.  Then I froze the dumplings. 

To cook the dumplings from fresh or frozen, heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan on med-high heat.  Turn the dumplings to brown on both sides.  Add 1/2 cup or so of water, cover, then steam dumplings until done.  Serve with soy sauce.  They are delicious!!!!  Most of the students really liked them, too!  Some wouldn't even try them, but ate the chicken fried rice.  And some wouldn't try anything!  I also had seaweed (yuck!), bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts for them to sample.  And of course - chopsticks to use!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover