Friday, May 31, 2013

Strawberry Spinach Salad

A few weeks ago I made a strawberry spinach salad for a school event.  I've had numerous requests for the recipe, but since I combined several and don't measure everything, it's been difficult to get it put together.

I know that this is what I did for the dressing.  I didn't have some of the ingredients the original recipe called for so I'm just putting what I did.

DRESSING:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
dash of paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I just shook a drop out)
1 tablespoon minced onion (I just shook it out without measuring)

Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, until sugar dissolves. Cover the dressing and allow to chill for 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine:

10 ounces of fresh spinach 
One quart of strawberries

Pour dressing over the salad.  Add sugared pecans. (recipe below)  Toss to coat.

SUGARED PECANS:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups pecan halves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with sides with aluminum foil. Pour the butter onto the lined sheet. In a large bowl, mix the egg whites, sugar and cinnamon. Add the pecan halves and toss until they are fully coated. Spread the pecans onto the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring the pecans every 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.  



My notes about this recipe:
I actually let some of the pecans get a little too done - almost burned, but apparently people liked that, too!!  Isn't it funny that something you think might be a flop is well-liked?  Haha!

Some recipes say to chill the dressing for an hour, then chill the salad for 10 - 15 minutes before serving, but I didn't have time to do that. I'm wondering if that's why people liked it so much - because it wasn't so cold?  I think so, so that's why I'm just putting 30 minutes on the chill time of the dressing. I think even 15 minutes would be fine.

Now if I can remember who all wanted the recipe, I'll be doing good!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

WE like this and the mandarin orange one too - sometimes we add griled chicken to it for a complete meal.

 
Pin It button on image hover