Monday, September 21, 2009

Broccoli Salad

Posted by Lori:
At our school's annual FFA Banquet this past May, someone made a broccoli salad that I really liked. I thought a friend of mine made the salad, but she didn't. So, I have no idea who made it!

I began to look for a recipe to make the broccoli salad, but all of them had a lot of mayonnaise in them and that wasn't what I wanted. So, last week, when I was cooking for a church fellowship luncheon, I decided to create my own version of a broccoli salad. I used ingredients I thought I remembered being in the one from May. It turned out great!

Broccoli Salad
6 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 cup red grapes, halved
1/3 cup cashews (could substitute sunflower seeds, peanuts, or other nuts)
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
8 sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 T. mayonnaise
2 1/2 T. sugar

In large bowl combine broccoli, grapes, cashews, onion, and bacon. In small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad and refrigerate several hours before serving.

I served it immediately when I first made it, but the next day when I served it again, it was even better. So, it would really be better to let it sit at least a few hours before serving.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Delise always makes this for Bunko with a little variation. Hers has grated cheddar cheese and maybe no cashews and grapes. That same sweet dressing, tho! She gets in trouble if she doesn't make it for us!

 
Pin It button on image hover