Sunday, September 27, 2009

Banberry Surprise Cake

Posted by Donna:

I had forgotten about this cake recipe until my daughter, Lori, mentioned it to me. I used to fix this quite a bit when the girls were small; but, I had totally forgotten about it. I fixed it for a funeral last week. It's a refrigerator cake. The best part about it is the frosting.

2 (3 oz.) packages strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup strawberry soda pop
Banana slices
1 yellow cake mix (without pudding)

Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water. Add the strawberry soda and cool completely.
Bake the cake according to the directions and let it cool. Once the cake and strawberry mixture is cool, poke holes in the top of the cake. Pour the strawberry mixture over the cake. Then cover the cake with sliced bananas. ( I dipped my bananas in Sprite and let them drain on a paper towel before topping the cake with them. )

Frosting: Mix together 1 (5 oz.) instant vanilla pudding and 2-1/2 cups cold milk. After this thickens slightly, add 1 (9 oz.) container prepared whipped topping. Mix together and spread over the bananas. Keep the cake refrigerated.

I'm debating on whether to try this using a white cake mix instead of the yellow. This is a refreshing cake. But, like I said before, the frosting is the best part.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover