Thursday, August 23, 2012

Layered Zebra Birthday Cake

Posted by Lori:

A few days ago I was asked to make a zebra birthday cake for a young lady who was turning 16.  I was excited about making it, but not sure about the zebra stripes.  I think they would be easy, but didn't have the time to test it out like I would have wanted.

To me, a layered birthday cake is just as easy as a flat cake, but looks even better.  For this cake I used two cake mixes (I prefer Pillsbury) and baked 2 - 8 inch round cake pans, a 6 inch round cake pan, and a small spring form pan - probably 4 inches.

I used this BUTTERCREAM ICING recipe.

So, back to the zebra stripes:  I had a small roll of zebra ribbon and cut it to go around the top layer.  I liked it and it was perfect for the zebra effect!  Hobby Lobby had other zebra ribbon rolls in various sizes, so I bought them to go around the middle and bottom layers.  It worked out perfectly!  I will say that it would be BEST to put the ribbon on BEFORE the black border, but I didn't have time to do it that way.  I just had to be very, very careful with the ribbon.

To finish off the cake, I found an "A" cake topper - also at Hobby Lobby, and sprinkled hot pink sugar crystals around the edges of each layer.  Finally, 16 zebra-striped candles were added to the middle layer and the birthday girl's special cake was ready.
The birthday girl was very proud of her cake!  What a fun cake to make for her special day!
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Impressive!

Anonymous said...

wonderful job!!!


erika

 
Pin It button on image hover