Thursday, June 16, 2011

Doctored Up Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Posted by Lori:

My three oldest children stayed at my mother-in-law's for several years when I was working three days a week.  Even though I quit when they were 5, 3, and almost 2, they still remember lunch time at Grammy's house as some of their favorite meals.  The one thing she introduced them to was macaroni and cheese from a box.  That was something that I just couldn't understand, having grown up eating homemade macaroni and cheese.  It's just something about that artificial powdered orange cheese packet that bugs me! I was reluctant to even make it for them, but they eventually persuaded me and I gave in; however, I've also continued to make homemade and now they all actually like it a lot, too.  Even the fourth child is okay with both.

I would say that most of the time we go the homemade route, but a few days ago I decided to make them "boxed"....but with a twist.  Instead of using the regular milk as called for on the directions, I substituted canned evaporated milk.  I ate a few spoonfuls and was pleasantly surprised that it gave it a more homemade taste.  All four children thought I was crazy for trying something (they blame this blog for my willingness to be creative!), but they all thought it was SUPER! 

So, next time you open that "blue" box, or whatever color box you choose.....try adding the evaporated milk and see what you think!  (Note:  FYI - Target in Wichita Falls, TX, today had Kraft Mac & Cheese in the Disney Cars 2 shapes for only 90 cents!!!  I couldn't resist!  AND, they also had Kraft FLAT marshmallows - perfect for s'mores.  I bought every package at $1.19 each....to use at Bible camp in a few weeks! :).
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover