Sunday, November 8, 2009

Butterscotch Thins

Posted by Donna:

Last week I was going through old recipes and I found this refrigerator cookie recipe. The first year I taught school in Altus, I was given this recipe by the grandmother of one of my students. She had brought these cookies to school for their snack time. I remember how much I enjoyed them. I also remember making them several times after I got the recipe; but, for some reason, the recipe had been lost among my very disorganized filing system---which I keep saying I'm going to organize. Yesterday, I decided to make these and see if I still liked them as much as I used to. Since they're a refrigerator cookie, I mixed them up yesterday and baked them this morning before leaving for worship services. I wanted to try them out on my grandsons who were at the house all afternoon.

1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco.

Melt the margarine and crisco. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/3 cup brown sugar to the melted margarine and Crisco. Beat one egg with a fork; then, add to the mixture.

Sift 1-1/2 cup flour and 3/4 tsp. baking soda together and stir into the creamed mixture.
Add 3/4 tsp. vanilla and 1/3 cup chopped pecans.

Transfer the dough onto wax paper and shape into a long roll. Roll the dough in wax paper and refrigerate overnight. Slice and place on an ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes. The tops of the cookies should be a golden brown.

The youngest of the three grandsons said he really liked the cookies. The middle one didn't try them because they didn't have chocolate chips in them. Believe me, I understand his thinking. It's hard to beat chocolate chip cookies.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover